Mobile Food Vending

Mobile Food Vending

Mobile Services and Pushcarts Require a License

All food service establishments in Tulsa County, including mobile food vending operations, require a license that must be renewed annually. THD categorizes mobile food services as follows:

  • Full-service mobile: a vehicle or trailer designed and equipped to prepare and serve open food products.
  • Pre-packaged (retail) mobile: a vehicle or trailer limited to the sale of commercially manufactured pre-packaged products, or products prepared and packaged at a licensed food service establishment.
  • Pushcart: a non-self-propelled vehicle limited to the sale of non-Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) foods, the sale of commercially pre-packaged foods maintained at proper temperatures, or the preparation and sale of frankfurters.

Construction, Equipment and Operation Guidelines

Full-service mobile food establishments are required to meet certain regulations regarding their construction, water system, equipment, personnel and food safety. Pre-packaged mobile and pushcart food establishments are exempted from some of these requirements.

Mobile Plan Overview

Mobile food establishment plans must be submitted to THD with the appropriate fees. Completed plans and applications can be submitted digitally or as hardcopies.  Documentation submitted needs to include a menu, equipment layout, size of water tanks, location of lighting, and any additional photos or documents to better illustrate the mobile unit. 

Properly prepared plans and specifications must be submitted for review and approval whenever:

  1. New mobile establishments are constructed; or
  2. Mobile Establishments are remodeled, or changes are made to the food operation and type of food service provided; or
  3. Food inspector determines plan submission is necessary to ensure compliance with Oklahoma Food Establishment Regulations.

Mobile food establishments that only sell prepackaged foods and are not engaged in food preparation operations are not required to submit a plan review application or pay the plan review fee.

Mobile License Fees 

  • Oklahoma State Department of Health Fee - $425 required for all mobile operations.

City Permits

Every city has the ability to adopt a city ordinance that requires additional permits to operate a business within the city limits. Below are cities in Tulsa County that will require additional permits in order to operate within their city limits.

  • Fee for City of Broken Arrow Food Permit*
    • Full-service mobile $150 per vehicle
    • Pre-packaged mobile $60 per vehicle
    • Pushcart vending operations $60 per pushcart
  • Fee for City of Bixby and City of Tulsa Food Permit* 
    • Full-service mobile $155 per vehicle
    • Pre-packaged mobile $155 per vehicle
    • Pushcart vending operations $155 per pushcart
    • NOTE: The cities charge a $5 processing fee on all new license applications

*Additional city permits for outdoor sellers or peddlers may be required. Please contact the City of Tulsa licensing and permits office at (918) 596-9456 regarding mobile outdoor sellers application for a mobile food operation or the City of Broken Arrow licensing and permits office at (918) 259- 2411 for an itinerant merchant food vendor application.

For more information, please call 918-595-4300.